Tips for Safe Disposal of Medications
- Look for authorized collection sites to collect your leftover drugs.
- Certain medications can be thrown in the trash, but you still need to mix them in a sealed container with an unpalatable substance like dirt, used coffee grounds, kitty litter, and so on.
- When disposing of your pill bottles, make sure to scratch off the label to make it unreadable.
- Medications that can be fatal, like a fentanyl patch, should be flushed down the toilet. Ask us what other drugs can be flushed, as most should not.
- Contact your local trash and recycling facility about the proper disposal of aerosol cans and inhalers. They can be dangerous if punctured or come into contact with fire.
For more information on proper and safe disposal of medications, talk to a Gatti pharmacist today!