Halloween is a good time to be reminded that anything in excess any time of year is bad for you, including fruit juices and certain savory snacks, but you don't necessarily want to deprive the kids of any fun either.
Here are the four types of candies to avoid to promote better oral health while allowing for some indulgence in the spirit of All Hollows' Eve:
- What to go for instead: Fruit leather with no added sugar is a great alternative. You can still get the same effect with a healthier version. Here is a recipe to make these at home.
- For the caramel-filled chocolate, pick chocolate-covered nuts or biscuits instead. Something like Peanut M&M's would be a better choice for the teeth.
- If this happens to be your child's favorite, and they must have it, try Raisels instead. They are essentially just raisins covered in a sweet and sour coating.
- Some alternatives: Sugar-free lollipops or, if choosing between the lesser of two evils, go for Nerds. They don't stick in your teeth as long as something like Skittles.
- Instead, go with dark chocolate, which is less processed than milk chocolate. And, because it melts faster in your mouth, it doesn't stick to your teeth as easily.